I mentioned before that this series (What Pakcik Received) will carry what I find it interesting/amusing among my incoming emails from friends. Here is one that came in very recently.
_______________________________You can try for yourself to see whether it works..
Benefit of eating Okra, Bhindi, Lady’s fingers.
*A guy has been suffering from constipation for the past 20 years and recently from acid reflux. He did not realise that the treatment could be so simple -= OKRA! ( or Lady’s Fingers). He started eating okra within the last 2 months and since then has not taken any more medicine. All he did was to consume 6 pieces of OKRA every day.
He is normal now and his blood sugar has dropped from 135 to 98, with his cholesterol and acid reflux also under control. Here are some facts on okra ( from the research of Ms. Sylvia Zook, PhD nutrition). University of Illinois.*
*”Okra is a powerhouse of valuable nutrients, nearly half of which is soluble fiber in the form of gums and pectin. Soluble fiber helps to lower serum cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart diseases.
The other half is insoluble fiber which helps to keep the intestinal tract healthy, decreasing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colo-rectal cancer.*
*Nearly 10% of the recommended level of vitamin B6 and Folic acid is also present in a half cup of cooked okra. Okra is a rich source of many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin B6 and folic acid.
He got the following numbers from the University of Illinois Extra. Please check there for more details.
*Okra Nutrition (half –cup cooked okra)
• Calories = 25
• Dietary Fiber = 2 grams
• Protein = 1.5 grams
• Carbohydrates = 5.8 grams
• Vitamin A = 460 IU
• Vitamin C = 13 mg
• Folic acid = 36.5 micrograms
• Calcium = 50 mg
• Iron = 0.4 mg
• Potassium = 256 mg
• Magnesium = 46 mg*
*These numbers should be used as a guideline only, and if you are on a medically-restricted diet please consult your physician and/or dietician.
Ms Sylvia W Zook, PhD (nutritionist) had very kindly provided the following thought-provoking comments on the many benefits of this versatile vegetable.
They are well worth reading.
1. The superior fiber found in okra helps to stabilise blood sugar as it curbs the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
2. Okra’s mucilage not only binds cholesterol but bile acid carrying toxins dumped into it by the filtering liver. But it doesn’t stop there .. *
3. Many alternative health practitioners believe all diseases begin in the colon. The okra fiber, absorbing water and ensuring bulk in stools, helps prevent constipation. Fiber in general is helpful for this but okra is one of the best, along with ground flax seed and psyllium. Unlike harsh wheat bran, which can irritate or injure the intestinal tract, okra’s mucilage soothes, and okra facilitates elimination more comfortably by its slippery characteristic many people abhor.
In other words, this incredibly valuable vegetable not only binds excess cholesterol and toxins (in bile acids) which cause numerous health problems, if not evacuated, but also assures their easy passage from the body. The veggie is completely non-toxic, non-habit forming (except for the many who greatly enjoy eating it), has no adverse side effects, is full of nutrients, and is economically within reach of most.
4. Further contributing to the health of the intestinal tract, okra fiber ( as well as flax and psyllium) has no equal among fibers for feeding the good bacteria (probiotics).
5. To retain most of okra’s nutrients and self-digesting enzymes, it should be cooked as little as possible, e.g. with low heat or lightly steamed. Some eat it raw.
Some important benefits of consuming okra:
*Stabilises blood sugar level.
Lowers serum cholesterol level.
Keeps intestinal tract healthy.
Feeds good bacteria residing in us all. *
I made no pretense whatsoever that I know those gms and mms mentioned. But lady’s finger is common and I like it and see no reason to dispute anyone who says it is good. Now Makcik is thinking of growing this easy-to-grow plant in a big way, on commercial scale, perhaps! Then we will invite everyone to Almanar to be treated of ..... whatever. (I wonder if anyone knows such plant known as gentleman’s finger to keep the effect of lady's finger imbalance.)
Berkhidmat kerana Tuhan untuk kemanusiaan